Chicken Stoup

>> Friday, October 31, 2008

Since I'm sick (a wonderful gift from Friday's flooding) I really wanted chicken soup. Amazing what can happen when you want chicken soup and actually have a chicken! I didn't take any pictures of what ended up to be more of a stoup, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Into my Ellie (1.6qt crock) went

  • 1/2 diced green bell pepper,
  • 1 diced stalk of green onion/chives
  • 1 tiny can of sliced mushrooms I found in the back of the cupboard
  • Chicken from the parts of the chicken that we tend not to prefer; I put in mostly wing and leg meat
  • 3/4 cup of chicken broth
  • Dry whole grain Minute rice, didn't measure, just sorta shook the box over the pot.
  • I didn't put in any seasonings because the chicken I used was from the last thing I cooked and had lots of flavor, and the broth had loads of salt.
I actually started with 1/4 c. liquid thinking that, as a good crock pot, the liquid would double on its own. It didn't, and I don't know why; either the lid wasn't settled right, or the rice absorbed it all. So I added another 1/2 c about three hours in when I started to smell the stuff burning a little.

I ran this on high for 4 hours and then put it on low because we were too lazy to get up and eat it right away.

My stoup was REALLY GOOD. We had it with homemade bread and what was in the pot fed the two of us for one meal. It was a lot chunkier than canned chunky soup; it really was more like a soggy casserole with a little bit of broth poured over the top when we served it out. When I say it that way it doesn't sound as good, but it really was.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Life is about changes; transitions from one place to another, from one purpose to another, from one being to another. They say that the person you are today is a completely different person from who you were ten years ago and who you'll be ten years from now. So far, at the age of 33, I've had four major transitions in my life which redefined who I am. Two years into the results of the most recent transition I am again - still - exploring how God is shaping me. Over the next few months I hope to review my past and set goals for the future, and embrace the next adventure of rediscovering me.

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP