Holiday Party

>> Thursday, December 11, 2008

We went to a Christmas party tonight. It was our first Hoity Toity party where everyone was dressed nice and the beverages were wine or wassail and we all gathered around the piano and sang old Christmas songs and talked politely while daintily seated in the parlour. Everyone there was at least fifteen years older than us. But we were invited. It was... strange. So beyond my
comfort zone. But fun too.

It's really strange how we both feel we don't really fit with people in our own generation. Between Africa and the Iowa farm, both of our parents (my mom, Lanse's folks) were raised more like other people's grandparents, and therefore we were raised more like their peers than our peers. My friend Cathy says that we're 'Old Souls'. But tonight was the first time in my life that I attempted to fit in socially with the next level up, so to speak. I think I appreciate the level of thought and introspection more, but obviously have a lot less common ground with cultural references and not having kids yet. It will definitely take a few more tries before I get comfortable with it. But we did enjoy ourselves!

0 comments:

About This Blog

Life is about changes; transitions from one place to another, from one purpose to another, from one being to another. They say that the person you are today is a completely different person from who you were ten years ago and who you'll be ten years from now. So far, at the age of 33, I've had four major transitions in my life which redefined who I am. Two years into the results of the most recent transition I am again - still - exploring how God is shaping me. Over the next few months I hope to review my past and set goals for the future, and embrace the next adventure of rediscovering me.

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP