Living in a space-time vortex

>> Monday, June 14, 2010

If you've ever watched Doctor Who you may be familiar with the opening credits sequence in which the Tardis tumbles through the space-time vortex like a marble in a pinball machine. Last week began a life that has placed me in the role of the Tardis or, respectively, the marble (which is, unfortunately, more accurate and much less fascinating).

I woke up last Monday with the idea that the only thing on the horizon was the annual company black-tie gala on Saturday which we'd been off and on looking forward to and dreading for the past few months. I'd finally decided on a dress and had recommendations of tailors who could probably do a rush job on raising the hem. So Monday's plan was to drop of the dress, drop off due library books, and come home to spend the day studying.

Here was my Monday:

  • Lost in Summerville
  • Had my first auto accident (no one was hurt)
  • Found the tailor, closed on Mondays
  • Library books now inaccessible due to damage on the car door
  • Found a second tailor, it was open... pinned the dress, filled out the form, can't have it done until next week. Took the dress home again... party's on Saturday!

Needless to say, it was a day of insanity. And we ended up not going to the party, so I took the dress back to the tailor who pinned it and hopefully will get it back this week.

During last week I/we also:
  • began the process of switching from Bethany Waiting Children to the local DHS to become infant/toddler foster adopt parents.
  • voted in the local primaries, which then went FOOM. (If you're curious for more information, Google SC Democratic primary and you'll have loads to read.)
  • panicked over homework, which required a classroom observation during the first week of class with no warning or prep time, during a month in which school is out of session
  • talked at length with my best friend who is a pediatric nurse in Minneapolis. I wish there was more I could do to help her; the hospitals are pushing a new contract that is really bad for the patients (having heard the terms, I completely agree given my child development background). Unfortunately, the local media's on the side of the hospital and the nurses are getting a really bad rap. They had to go on strike, which doesn't help matters.  

With all of that in the works and filling up my brain, I'm also prepping for Kids Kamp (VBS)- which is difficult when my volunteer goes on vacation and we don't have a car I can drive to take the stuff to church where the other volunteers are - preparing for Lanse's birthday, and we'll be leaving for Charlotte and, from there, NY the day after VBS is over. I've also been getting interested in the politics going on, and started reading a book our friend Jonathan loaned me about faith and politics. Same friend's wife is now full term and due with baby #4, which we've been following (hopefully not stalkerishly) with concern and interest while we play with their other three kids. I think my brain's covered all the hot topics last week: money, adoption, faith, politics, pregnancies, medical care, homework, employment opportunities... and Mom went to the ER just in case, (but it all ended up fine). I'm also desperately missing my girls Kaylee and Lydia, living life on the opposite coast.

My brain is tired.  When are we landing this Tardis again?  I promise I won't complain if it's Cardiff instead of London.  I expect we'll both get desperately ill when we finally return from NY and things settle down.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Life is about changes; transitions from one place to another, from one purpose to another, from one being to another. They say that the person you are today is a completely different person from who you were ten years ago and who you'll be ten years from now. So far, at the age of 33, I've had four major transitions in my life which redefined who I am. Two years into the results of the most recent transition I am again - still - exploring how God is shaping me. Over the next few months I hope to review my past and set goals for the future, and embrace the next adventure of rediscovering me.

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP