Mini-Quiche

>> Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making a quiche used to sound so intimidating (just like custards). Then I realized that quiches are just scrambled egg pie with stuff in it. So I make quiche a lot now.

I made little bitty quiches last night and I think I'll eat some for lunch. I have probably shared this before, but I'm gonna do it again. So there. Um.

Note that these are crustless, all the better to avoid carbs. If you season it well, leaving out the crust does not avoid flavor.

Preheat oven to 300F.

Chop the following into little itty bitty tiny pieces.
green onion
mushrooms
ham

Really, you could itty-bitty-tiny-piece any kind of veggie or meat you know you enjoy in omelette form. Just remember that these are small so what you put in must be chopped up small so it all fits. Next time I plan to use asparagus. Mmmm.

Anyway, so it's all chopped up. Get your mini-muffin tins out and spray em with your non-stick butter spray stuff. If you want to line them instead, use foil; the paper ones get too soggy. In each cup put a pinch of each of your lovely bits of stuff you just chopped up.

Top with shredded cheese of your choice. I used shredded Mexican blend from Kraft.

Note, I filled the cups nearly to the top with stuff. Cuz I like a lot of stuff in my food. It's okay. Really.

In a bowl, beat some eggs with some milk. Yes, this can be very violent. I was making 24 mini-quiches and ended up using 5 eggs with a little bit left over. I tend to eyeball the amount of milk, but it was much closer to "a splash" than anything actually substantial. I like my quiche to be very eggy, where there isn't other stuff.

In the beaten egg/milk mix kosher salt, pepper, garlic salt, and savory to taste. If I'd had the motivation to go out across the yard with scissors I'd have added fresh rosemary or marjoram. But I didn't. Using some sort of useful dipping and pouring device (I used a 1/4 cup measure but didn't actually measure with it) fill each little cup with egg stuff. Work slowly so it can soak itself down through all the stuff. You can fill it pretty full; these didn't really overflow.

Bake for half-an-hour-ish. I started with 10 minutes and then rotated them because my oven's uneven. I did another 10 and took them out, and really they should have been done more. I was fooled by the cheese browning on top. However, *note* that I do actually plan to reheat them in the microwave, which should take care of the extra cooking. Straight from the oven at 20 minutes they were cooked, but kind of damp... like some people might leave scrambled eggs looking just a little bit wet but not really. So they won't kill you if you eat them.

Unless they're ninja death eggs.

Just this minute someone gave me a wonderful egg baking idea! I don't think I understood it the way she meant it, but I might want to try it. This shall take some pondering. And perhaps some experimentation. And, definitely, another trip to the store. Details at... well... whenever I get around to it.

Ok. So the moral of this story is: Make and Eat Mini-Quiche. It's easy! And very tasty. With toast and jam and a big glass of milk. In fact, I'm going to go do that right now.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Life is about changes; transitions from one place to another, from one purpose to another, from one being to another. They say that the person you are today is a completely different person from who you were ten years ago and who you'll be ten years from now. So far, at the age of 33, I've had four major transitions in my life which redefined who I am. Two years into the results of the most recent transition I am again - still - exploring how God is shaping me. Over the next few months I hope to review my past and set goals for the future, and embrace the next adventure of rediscovering me.

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP